Ever since Game of Thrones Season one shocker of the death of the main protagonist, I have noticed a trend among all showrunners in hollywood to add some shock treatment to their series but does this come at the cost of the integrity of the show. What I mean is, does the sudden nature of any event fit the world within the series or did the writers just include to get a bump in media and social media coverage?
Here is a list of the most recent examples (assembled by Sherif El Refai) and you can judge for yourself:
– Game of Thrones – Execution of Ned Stark
– House of Cards – Subway Train Jump of Zoe Barnes
– The Walking Dead – Death of Lizzie & Mika
– Family Guy – Brian’s car accident
– Downton Abbey – Lady Sybil
– Game of Thrones – “Red Wedding” & “Purple Wedding”